Wednesday 26 December 2012

Top Ten of 2012: Wednesday


Top 10 of 2012 is a great event which is co-hosted by some awesome bloggers (Rachel from Fiktshun, Lisa from A Life Bound By Books, Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic, Jaime from Two Chicks on Books and Mindy from Magical Urban Fantasy Reads). It's a week-long event where you can look back at the best books of 2012 and forward to the awesome books coming out in 2013 :)

Today's topic is a blogger's choice so I'm going with Best Villains of 2012.

angels' blood nalini singhenclave ann aguirreacross the universe beth revis

1. Uram from Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh
As a fan of the Psy-Changeling series, I thought I knew what to expect from Nalini Singh. Then I read the darker, more twisted Guild Hunters. Uram is the villain in Angel's Blood, a psychotic archangel that Elena is assigned to hunt down. His crimes are described in the book and definitely win him a place on this list.

2. The Freaks from Enclave & Outpost by Ann Aguirre
I'm not usually a big fan of anything with zombies in, but I decided to read Enclave regardless. The Freaks are very creepy and they add a different layer to the story by being so predominant. They made the list given how they are developing over the trilogy and I creeped out looking forward to seeing where they go next.

3. Eldest from Across the Universe & A Million Suns by Beth Revis
Creepy psycho? Check. Pretending to be a nice guy? Check. Doing really messed up things? Check. Freakishly controlling? Check. Eldest was a character I was suspicious of from the start and as soon as he started to show his true colours, I knew he was a bad guy!

the name of the star maureen johnsonpossess gretchen mcneilarchangel's consort nalini singh

4. The Ripper from The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
I loved the Name of the Star and part of that love is how Maureen Johnson managed to bring Jack the Ripper into the modern day. He manages to pull of scary, creepy and mysterious all at once and the close calls with Rory kept my heart pounding throughout.

5. The demons in Possess by Gretchen McNeil
The demons aren't the big bad in Possess but they made the list because they possess a shop full of porcelain dolls. If we're going for book thing that freaked me out the most this year - that scene is it. Even writing about it is making me shudder!

6. Caliane from Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
Caliane has been talked about in snippets since the beginning of the Guild Hunter novels so I was excited to finally find out more about her. When she begins to awaken and influence the world, Caliane's actions put some horrific chains of events in motions and make her an amazing villain.

the hunger games suzanne collinsmontana sky nora robertsfeast of fools rachel caine

7. Cato from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I picked Cato for the list as he is the complete opposite to Katniss. He volunteers for The Hunger Games for the glory and as a District 2 tribute has spent years preparing to take part. He is vindictive, deadly and arrogant...and he hurt Peeta!

8. Jesse Carne from Montana Sky by Nora Roberts
Jesse is Lily's abusive ex-husband in Montana Sky and he makes the list based on the creepiness of the scenes from his perspective. Nora Roberts shows how bizarrely his mind works and how abusive he is to a terriying degree and the idea that people like him really exist is horrifying.

9. Bishop from Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine
Bishop is a vampire who appears in Morganville and stirs things up. Unlike the Morganville vampires, Bishop has no respect at all for humans and quickly becomes a deadly villain. Not only is he evil but he manages to incite others to do horrible things for him which is very disturbing.

10. Tate from the Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill
Tate's character has evolved a lot over the six published Chicagoland novels. He's been a shady suspicious politician, a convict and now he's a full-on bad guy. The twists and turns in his evolution have been fascinating and he definitely deserves his place on the list.

Honourable mentions: President Snow from The Hunger Games trilogy (seriously his breath smells of blood?! Ewwwwwwww) and Lijuan from Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh.

35 comments:

  1. Great list! I really should finally read the Razorland series, Chicagoland Vampires, Shades of London, Across the Universe, Guild Hunter series & Possess, too, I need to meet these villains, hopefully in 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleksandra! They are definitely some creepy villains :)

      Delete
  2. Villains! And OMG, you picked some cruel ones. I have to say, I really, really hate Bishop. he's one of the worst. And Tate... I agree with your definition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I really tried to find the cruelest most horrible villains I could.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Great thoughts on villians - and I agree with your comment on President Snow. Smell like blood - yuck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene made me shudder when I first read it. Thanks for stopping by Kelsey :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, you brought up the porcelain dolls in Possess! Super creepy. I loved that book. I need to read more villains, I think. I am missing out on some really popular ones. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty much the scariest thing I've read all year! Thanks for stopping by Sara :)

      Delete
  5. Cato was seriously hard-core. Ugh. Great list!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thanks for stopping by Nea :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I love villains in a I love to hate them kind of way. Awesome picks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some good villains! I had completely forgotten just how creepy Eldest was and how much I freaked out/was surprised by The Ripper In The Name of The Star. Great list =D

    Top 10 Heroines of 2012

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. They're all really great reads :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I've ye tto read most of those books (with the exception of Nalini Singh's, Beth Revis' and Suzanne Collins' books) but the villains I know.. Yeah, definitely agree! I have The Name of the Star and Possess sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read.. Now I want to read both even more. Arrgh! XD

    Happy Holidays,

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them when you get to them! I loved both :)

      Thanks for stopping by Patricia and Happy Holidays :)

      Delete
  10. Great list! And I totes agree with the Freaks and Eldest :)

    Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime! The Freaks are so creepy and Eldest is so manipulative.

      Delete
  11. I always love villains! Eldest is a good one! Man I hated him! Also Cato even though he was a hot villain in the movie! LOL Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love villains too :) And I'm totally with you on the hotness of movie Cato, even though I knew how bad he was.

      Thanks for stopping by Jennifer!

      Delete
  12. Cato was some kind of crazy haha. Awesome list!
    Thanks for stopping by Bookmunchies (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so nuts! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  13. Great villains can really make or break a book. Uram, Cato, and Eldest are all wonderful examples. So creepy and fascinating at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Villains are definitely a make or break thing. Get it right and your book is awesome but get the villain wrong and the whole thing falls apart.

      Thanks for stopping by Jennifer :)

      Delete
  14. Great list! I'm scared to read most of these lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent list! I haven't read most of those, but I absolutely with Eldest and Cato... two big ol' baddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say I absolutely agree... forgot that, apparently. Haha!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Eldest and Cato are really good bad guys :)

      Thanks for stopping by Litza!

      Delete
  16. I completely agree with The Ripper from the Name of the Star. Beyond creepy!

    Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I can't wait for The Madness Underneath :)

      Thanks for stopping by Annie!

      Delete
  17. So many great villains! I've read The Hunger Games, Across the Universe and Morganville and I agree with you! Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva