Friday 25 May 2012

Dial Om for Murder by Diana Killian

Title: Dial Om for Murder
Author: Diana Killian
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
ISBN: 978-0-425-22705-3
Pages: 271
Series: Mantra for Murder Mystery #2
Type: Adult Cozy Mystery
Source: Purchased
Goodreads


A.J. only two A-list students in her yoga studio, but they are more than enough to handle. Leading actress Nicole Manning and reality-show star Barbie Siragusa aren't just divas, they are viscious rivals too. A.J. tries to keep the peace but when she discovers Nicole's dead body, all fingers point to Barbie. Pushed into investigating by her mother, A.J. soon learns that Nicole's life was more complicated than she ever dreamed.

This is the second book in the Mantra for Murder Mysteries (after Corpse Pose). After really enjoying the first book I was eager to get stuck into this and I must say I wasn't disappointed. As with the first installment the mystery element is tightly plotted and cleverly written with just the right amount of red herrings. There were also a few twists and turns that caught me completely by surprise.

While the yoga angle ensures that this is unique amongst other cozies, it doesn't overpower the mystery. A.J. is still running the Sacred Balance studio and her love of yoga shines through. The book even concludes with a guide to sun salutations and a recipe for salmon salad. The other unique aspect of this is the secondary mystery which is a minor plot that links in to the main case. In this installment AJ's ex-husband turns up bruised and unwell on her doorstep after leaving his partner but won't explain what's wrong.

The romance subplot between AJ and Detective Jake Oberlin. Unlike in other cozy mysteries though, Jake absolutely objects to A.J. having any part in the police investigation and her determination to investigate puts their relationship in jeopardy. Most cozies seem to have a clueless cop grateful for the amateur's assistance, but this seems far more realistic.

I found the ending was a little disappointing because it came together very quickly and without much explanation. As with the first book the ending was quite tense and action-packed but while I didn't predict the killer's identity, there wasn't much reasoning behind it. It seemed very much a case of "voila, here's your murderer".

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Murder on the Eightfold Path.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 8/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 46/50

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one. OMG, I love these cheese ball books and you have given this one such a high rating that I am definitely going to try this series. I have a ton of these cozy series started. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same. I love curling up with a cozy and giving my brain a break from big issues :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva