Monday 12 March 2012

Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Title: Late Breath
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: Allison & Busby
ISBN: 978-0-7490-0814-7
Pages: 479
Series: The Morganville Vampires #11
Type: Young Adult Paranormal
Source: Purchased
Goodreads


The newest conflict in Morganville is dividing the vampire and human residents even more than usual. Eve and Michael have announced their engagement and it seems few locals are impressed by the possiblity of a mixed race marriage. Hidden in the background, vampires are disappearing from Morganville and Claire suspects that it has something to do with the mysterious newcomer Magnus. But soon Claire is forced to question the possibility that something out there preys on vampires.

This is the eleventh book in the Morganville Vampires series (which began with Glass Houses) and is a book I approached with trepidation. The previous installment had been slow paced and I didn't enjoy the switching narrators so when I realised this had even more narrators I was nervous. Needless to say my fears where totally unfounded as this fast-paced installment is action packed and kept me glued to the page.

This time Claire is joined by Amelie, Shane, Michael and Eve to tell the story and, while the character's voices aren't always as clear as I would like, it adds a new layer of depth to the book. There is a lot going on in this book - Eve and Michael's engagement, Claire and Shane's relationship and the disappearing vampires. The pace increases throughout the book to a massive showdown that will reshape the world of Morganville forever.

The mythology is really well developed, and the multiple perspectives allow new insights into Morganville and it's residents. Amelie in particular shows for the first time the true nature of the vampires and just how far they will go to control the human residents and each other. There are also some more human issues covered - like mixed race marriages, birth control and bigotry.

All in all this was an awesome read and I can't wait for Black Dawn.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50

2 comments:

  1. I have cut back on the paranormal books for a bit. I love them, but am taking a break to rejuvenate my interest. I will have to give this one a try when I pick them back up. Thanks for the great review. That is an impressive rating.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Steph :) I totally understand taking a break from certain genres. When I get overdosed on paranormals I tend to switch to cozy mysteries.

    It's a really great book and a total gamechanger for the series too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva