Wednesday 14 March 2012

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Title: Darkfever
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Publisher:
ISBN: 0-385-33915-1
Pages: 304
Series: Fever #1
Type: Paranormal Romance
Source: Library
Goodreads

MacKayla Lane is perfectly happy with her life. She tends bar, lives in small town Georgia and her car only occasionally breaks down. But all that falls apart when her sister Alina is brutally murdered in Dublin and when Mac receives a mysterious phone message, she heads to Dublin only to discover Alina had stumbled into a deadly world. With her own life now in jeapordy Mac must turn to the mysterious Jericho Barrons to learn more about the Fae before her untapped skills cost her her life.

This is the first book in the much lauded Fever series and for me a hard book to review. While I loved parts of it, other parts annoyed me. Darkfever is written as a first-person flashback and I found it hard to adjust to the style of writing, especially with Mac coming out with things like "I didn't know it then" or "it's one more thing I was wrong about". It didn't really add anything to the book and just distracted me from the main storyline.

The other real annoyance for me was that the Irish accents were just plain bad and didn't come off as Irish at all, but thankfully this pretty much stops by the end of the third chapter. The Dublin setting did however make the book stand out from other paranormal romance series and I enjoyed seeing Mac's southern belle dealing with a European city.

Mac was an interesting narrator, despite her obsession with describing peoples outfits and her nail varnish (right down to talking about the colour and shade name). Mac begins the book as a dumb blonde but, once she starts to learn more about the Fae world that her sister had stumbled into, gradually grows into a more well-rounded character. The mysterious Barrons helps her in her quest, but so little about him is revealed that I wish he'd been more upfront. By the end of the book, not much more is known about him than at the beginning.

The mythology of the world-building is where the book really caught me, and as more and more was revealed about the Fae I found myself glued to the page. Deliciously complex and fascinating I really enjoyed learning more of the Fae. Characters like V'lane are introduced and the author manages to show that while the Unseelie Fae are horrifying to see, the Seelie Fae can be just as dangerous. Mac's powers are well written and cleverly developed and I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress.

All in all, this was an interesting read and I'm hoping to pick up a copy of Bloodfever soon.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 8/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 40/50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva