Saturday 18 February 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday (11)


Shelf Candy Saturday is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Five Alarm Book Reviews where each Saturday bloggers defy the saying "never judge a book by its cover" and showcase one that really catches their eye. Covers play a huge role in the books I choose so it's great to have the opportunity to showcase the pretties :)

My shelf candy for this week is Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs.

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


I love the simplicity of this cover. Usually I'm not a massive fan of covers with people on them, but this stands out from the crowd for me. I love how the bottom of her braid is twisting and curling, and it fits with the idea of the main characters being descendants of the snake-haired Medusa of Greek myth.

I even like the print on the hardcover of the book itself. The swirl really echoes the slipcover and the print is the most gorgeous metallic turquoise colour.

So what's your shelf candy this week?

11 comments:

  1. I can completely see why you chose this book. I really like this cover. The bottom of the braid gives it that extra something that makes you pause and say "wait a minute..."
    And before I read that you said it the main character is a decendant of medusa I thought that the hair looked like it would be kind of evil with maybe the venom reaching out...
    so yeah, its great. lol.

    Love your blog header too, by the way. ;)

    my shelf candy choice is here if you want to check it out: http://www.cambriahebert.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover. The end of the braid and the font choice for the title all just fits together perfectly. Great pick.
    You can check out my Shelf Candy here.
    [:
    ShawnaLeAnn
    Dreaming In The Pages Enter My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The curls on the braid go with the curls on the font! Good choice!

    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her hair, of course, but also the eerie blue glow that's lighting her face. Sounds like an intriguing read. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added this to my Kindle recently. I was drawn to it by the cover and purchased it for the synopsis. I love that the hard cover is designed under the flap, that is always a nice surprise. Thank you for sharing your post.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. My local bookstore had a big moving sale for members last night. I must admit of buying books to use for some of the challenges I am in. Though none of them were bought for the cover. I do try to look to see who did the cover of the books I buy. I wish I had longer hair as the braid on the cover of Sweet Venom is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this book!! I actually love the covers of all her books. This is a great pick!
    Stephanie @Steph's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is DEFINITELY a great pick!! I agree with you about that braid, which is the central design element. The girl's exposed back really makes the braid stand out, too. The muted tones also help make the curling tendrils stand out.

    Great Shelf Candy this week! : )

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this cover. The braid totally makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the cover for Sweet Venom. The typeface is beautiful and fits the cover well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by guys :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva