Tuesday 6 December 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (13)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the Broke and the Bookish where a new top ten list is posted each week. This week is: Top Ten Childhood Faves (This is the first TTT we did so I apologize for the handful of you who have already done it!)


1. Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet Ahlberg
This is one of the first books I can remember reading. I loved looking through the illustrations as a child trying to see what I'd missed and then when my little sister was born I loved reading it to her. Now I've even brought a copy for my niece.


2. Mrs Pepperpot by Alf Prøysen
The Mrs Pepperpot Stories are all about a woman who could shrink to the size of a pepperpot and go on loads of different adventures. She could talk to animals and all sorts. The ideal children's book!

3. Not Now, Bernard by David McKee
I loved this book as a kid! It's about a little boy called Bernard who keeps trying to tell his parents about a monster at the bottom of the garden that wants to eat him. They ignore him, and when he eventually does get eaten, they don't even notice the difference!



4. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
I went through a horse crazy stage as a kid, complete with riding lessons and Pony in my Pockets. I fell in love with Black Beauty and became obsessed with the book and the TV show. I can still remember the theme tune (to anyone else that now has said theme tune stuck in their head - sorry!)

5. Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell
I adored the entire Silver Brumby series not only for the horses but also for the setting in the Australian outback. It was really vivid and totally captured my imagination, and I still love books with that setting today (like John Marden's Tomorrow series).

6. The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
This I've mentioned several times before on the blog, but basically it was a book I read over and over as a child, returned to the library, forgot about and then rediscovered a couple of years ago as an adult. My opinions on some of the characters have changed but it's still a favourite :)


7. My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara
The last horse book I promise! Of all the horse books I read and all the horses I rode, there was only one that I desperately wanted to own and that was Flicka. I even named most of my toy horses Flicka!

8. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene
I loved the Nancy Drew books when I hit my tween years (and finally got over the horse thing). I couldn't find any of the cover's I had but I do remember the stories in the pictured collection. I think I read the modernized versions, although there's no guarentee I'd have noticed if they were the originals.

9. The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
My Mum pointed out this had to be on this list because she's read it to me every Christmas Eve since I was a bump! It's just not Christmas without it.




10. Point Horror Series
Cue my teenage years and my attention (in my early teens at least) was captured by the Point Horror series. I used to borrow them from the library and read them constantly. I loved them :)

5 comments:

  1. NANCY DREW! I loved her. Those books were so awesome when I was a kid, although her friend Bess always seemed like a wet blanket to me.

    AND YAY for Point Horror! I read those too! I remember The Lifeguard and The Snowman specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Beauty is a classic, but I've never read Flicka or the Silver Brumby. From the sound of it I think I would have liked it a lot. Same with Point Horror. I loved reading scary thrillers as a kid. Can't go wrong with The Night Before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these. That is just sad. I guess it's what happens when I didn't grow up as a reader. I feel like I've missed out on some right of passage every child goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe I left out the Silver Brumby series! I owned them all and was utterly obsessed with them for years. I still dislike Russell Crowe because of his role in the movie (and well, other reasons, but mostly that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting guys :)

    April - I always found Beth to be a wet blanket too!

    Reading date - Flicka is probably closer to Black Beauty, but both that and Silver Brumby are awesome.

    Jenni - you might not have grown up as a reader, but it's great you've become one. Some people never do.

    1girl - I've never seen the Silver Brumby movie! I didn't even know there was one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva