Wednesday 19 October 2011

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Crescendo
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
ISBN: 978-1-84738-719-6
Pages: 427
Series: Hush, Hush #2
Type: Young Adult Paranormal
Source: Purchased
Goodreads


Nora has survived the attempts on her life and her boyfriend Patch is now her guardian angel. Despite his new role, Patch seems to be acting anything but angelic being more mysterious than usual and spending time with Marcie Millar who has tormented Nora for years. But when an old family friend Scott Parnell moves back to town, Nora realises something is off with him and finds herself drawn even deeper into the angelic/Nephilim worlds.

This is the second book in the Hush, Hush series (after Hush, Hush unsurprisingly) and continues in the same incredible vein as the first. Nora and Patch are together now, but neither realises how many skeletons there are in the other's closet. Nora's Nephilim bloodline is more complex than she realised, and Patch starts acting strangely so their brief period of happiness soon becomes something more complex.

The plot is incredible, in fact the only thing keeping this book from a flawless score are the minor similarities with New Moon although this book goes in a completely different direction. The pacing is brilliant, and the mix of romance and mystery is kept from the first book with Nora ending up in even more danger than before.

Marcie Millar gets a lot more plot development and now instead of being just a bully, she has evolved into a far more complex (although not much nicer) character. Vee also gets a lot of page time as she is now dating Patch's friend Rixon, which is brilliant as she is one of my favourite characters and she really grounds the story. Scott is also an interesting character as you know from the start he is hiding a big secret which is revealed very gradually, giving the book quite a lot of tension.

The ending is outstanding and completely caught me by surprise. There are a lot of twists and turns and the last three chapters took the book in a totally different direction to what I was expecting, changing my opinions on all the characters and reshaping Nora's entire world. There is a cliffhanger at the very end which makes me incredibly glad I have the next book here and ready to read.

All in all this was another incredible read and I can't wait to get stuck into Silence.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 49/50

2 comments:

  1. Reading this is like reliving the book :) I didnt have the third book ready, so it was a bit of agony for me. Have you started Silence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kris :) I'm soooooo glad I had Silence ready to read. Those last few pages of Crescendo I kept glancing at it thinking "I'm so lucky". I would have hated waiting a whole year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva